Monday, October 19, 2009

HELP!!! (Or Two Bags of Peanut Butter Cups...in Three Days!)

Why am I posting a picture of a Coke bottle filled with sugar? Keep in mind that this is seventeen teaspoons of sugar, the amount in one twenty-ounce soda, and read the following...

So last January/February, I made a goal to go off of sugar for a month. I even went over my goal, 32 days, to be exact, without having sugar. But lately, my need for the stuff has been little on the fiendish side. Or perhaps a lot on the fiendish side! I'll go into a little more detail in a moment.

So what am I needing help with? I need to eat better and exercise more. I want to lose weight and get myself back into healthier habits. I feel frustrated, though, because I don't have a support system. That's my fault. I think one of the hardest things for anyone to do is to ask for help. I do not like asking people to do things for me. I would rather do it on my own. But lately it occurs to me that this is NOT something I can do on my own. And I am tired of trying to do it on my own. I need a cheer squad! I'm asking my friends and family to be my cheer squad.

So the sugar problem...consider the following. I ate three candy bars, three Klondike bars and polished off some left over frozen cookie dough in three days. I had two twenty ounce Cokes and some hot chocolate this week. Then later in the week, I was really craving Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. In a matter of ONLY three days, I ate two bags. This is no joke people! That might be the most embarrassing thing I've ever admitted. Seriously. Who does that? I want to be honest, however. I think telling the truth to others might help me be a little more honest with myself. I've been struggling up and down with my weight for about six years now, and I am tired. After a week like this, I realized I couldn't let it go on.

Realistically, I'm not going to quit eating sugar forever. I really need to figure out a balance that works for me. And if shame helps me to get started, then shame it is! Because that is how I feel about what I ate - ASHAMED. I didn't intend my blog to become a food confessional. However, for the next few months, I'm going to be posting about my progress and asking for advice. For now, I just ask that you give me some of your ideas about how you have learned to control sugar intake. That and please be my cheerleader! I need it!!!

9 comments:

J and C Fish Family said...

after reading this, I thought of the movie "Julia and Julie" how she is completely and at times embarrassingly honest. But I think that you are right. Honesty with yourself is a big step in the right direction. Another step would be to remove temptation and don't buy more until you are confident that they don't control you. Did that make sense?

Michelle said...

that makes a lot of sense. and i'm not buying it anymore...or at least not for the foreseeable future!

KamilahNYC said...

you are a brave woman! i'm so proud of you. You will be my inspiration as I drink a dr. pepper. :)
no, seriously I applaud you and would love to help in any way I can. And no, I will not provide brownies and cheeseburgers for dinner at my house anymore. (member that day?)
Ah my friend, best of luck!

J and C Fish Family said...

Some of my friends have been using social shame on Facebook to try and loose weight. They have been posting weight loss numbers and how many times they went to the gym so people can chastise them for falling short. I don't know how well it is working, but it's a thought.
-Josh

Amber said...

I hear ya girl! What person (who likes chocolate/sugar) doesn't struggle with a nice balance of it? We all do. You are SO not alone. But yet you are VERY brave for putting it on your blog.
One thing that helps me is to try and have less guilty substitutes around the house. Like chocolate pudding or dark chocolate squares. Or buy the mini soda cans that only hold 8 oz. So that I still get a taste of it, but don't go overboard. And definitely don't keep a lot of it in the house. If it's there, I'll eat it. And if you get tempted and buy a big bag of peanut butter cups and are disgusted with yourself after eating a handful of them...THROW THEM OUT!!! I know it's wasteful, but I've done it. Otherwise, I know I will eat them. Good luck! Keep us updated. We'll be your cheering section. Wanna move out here? V and Troy just did. Although I haven't SEEN either one of them yet. We could have an Old Mill reunion!!!

The Fishing Hole said...

Ok No Punches pulled. Get a grip. Your next step may be just relearning a basic lesson of life. You have to help yourself first and that means not in the sugar bowl. What you need is real self control and not self indulgence. Get a grip girl. No more. Who is in control of you? You or your GUT.

The Marrott Family said...

I think we all need to go on sugar binges occasionally! Don't feel bad, you know I eat and drink more sugar than a body should. I need some self control too! I've been trying a lot of diet/reduced calorie things lately, but sadly they almost always drive me back to sugar with a vengeance! So I say don't deprive yourself. Make sure you keep just enough of whatever it is your craving to satisfy it. That seems to work for me! Go Michelle!!! "You can do eet!" :0)

Amanda said...

Oh Man! Are we related or what? We need to talk. I am feeling your pain and can completely empathize. You're doing better than I am. I haven't worked out since I did my triathlon in August. It's pathetic. I'll call you. I've got some new stuff I'm really into that you might be interested in. Wow, that sounded a little like a drug dealer. I hope nobody takes that the wrong way.

April said...

You are so brave!! I just wanted you to know that you LOOK GREAT! Honestly!!- so be gentle with yourself. You'll find a blance that feels good. LOVE YA