Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Hiking and a Fear of Heights

One of the first things I wanted to do when we got to Alaska was to go on a hike. Of course we were warned to be careful of bears. J.Phil even read up on what to do to avoid any unwanted encounters. Apparently if you make plenty of noise, the bears stay away. I suppose that works if it's late in the season when the bears have eaten their fill and are ready to settle in for a long winter's nap. In any case, as I pointed out in my previous post, there were not such sightings on our hikes. Instead we got to enjoy some beautiful greenery.

This particular hike started behind our hotel and was about seven miles round trip. I loved it. I think it was my favorite activity while we were there. There is just something about a cool, sunny fall day in the mountains. It smells good...it feels good. Days like this are good for you soul, and I wish I could do it more often. I think I appreciate it even more after living in a big city where I couldn't just go out for a long walk or enjoy nature. I love cities, but nothing compares to this.





So about three miles up the mountain, we had to cross a gorge. I am afraid of heights. So it made me (and J.Phil) a bit nervous. But I wanted to finish the hike, so I was determined to get into the rickety contraption that carries you across the gorge.

You start out on one side and climb into a metal cage that is rigged to a pulley system. And then you pull...and pull...and pull until you get to the other side.

The view down to the river as we were passing over it.

The river as it comes down the mountain.

J.Phil in the metal cage.

A super attractive close up of me in the cage as we crossed over :).

I was proud to say I did it...twice. And we finished our hike. Good times. Seriously just writing this post makes me wish I were there right now, hiking and enjoying the sights, although I'm sure it is getting pretty cold in Alaska about right now...so maybe next year :)!

4 comments:

J and C Fish Family said...

Way to go! That makes me miss the mountains and camping like no other.

Leah said...

Those are BEAUTIFUL pictures. I have always heard how pretty it is there. Although I don't think I will ever make it. I am too much of a wuss when it comes to the cold.
So glad you got to go. Sorry you got sick. That's the pits.

J and C Fish Family said...

I love those pics!!!!
I am comment #3!!!
See....I love you!

Amber said...

Those are amazing pictures.

Thanks for commenting on my blog. I lost my blog roll a while back and didn't have yours on my list anymore. Now I have it again.

Did you know V and Troy BOTH live in LA now! Crazy huh! Maybe you should end up here too. It will be Old Mill revisited. Haha...