Sunday, February 28, 2010

Things I'll Miss about NYC

I suppose I ought to title this things I'll miss about Newark. But, since that amounts to very little (besides the library, which I'll post about later), I thought a more appropriate topic would be New York City. I suppose I've always seen New York as a mythical/romantic mecca, and in some ways it is. It is a very compact place, when you think about it. And yet it is packed with life...so many different people with very very unique and different agendas. It is hard not to be fascinated by such a place, even if one doesn't actually like it very much. But I'm not one of those people. I'm both fascinated by New York and in love with New York. To that end, I thought I should write a few entries about what I'm going to miss about the city. My first entry is dedicated to my dear friend Kamilah...and our favorite place to meet up, Max Brenner, aka, chocolate heaven.

I met Kamilah in Provo where we both had the pleasure of working at Tony Roma's. Our manager, Sharon, found out that I was moving to Washington, D.C. and told me that Kamilah was, too. Once we made our way out East, we bonded over several things, like crazy D.C.ers (I can sing and I can dance, but ONLY if I want to), Macy Grey and Duck Beach. Now it sort of feels like we've followed each other around a bit. She moved to Brooklyn so that she could attend design school (you'll have to look out for her new clothing line, K Grace Designs, coming soon!!!). Then I moved to Newark to go to law school. I must say, thinking about leaving makes me a little sad and nostalgic. She's been a great friend, and saying good-bye is going to bite! I've relied on her in so many ways, including crashing at her place before I started school and couldn't yet move into my apartment. The girl has my back! I love her.

So then she did me another solid. First year of law school we went to lunch. At Max Brenner. And it changed my life forever. If you find yourself in NYC, find your way to Max Brenner. It's in Union Square. On Broadway. Seriously. GO!!!


Kamilah and I enjoying our dessert. (We were going to get two...but it turns out that one was more than enough!)
You have no idea what you are missing out on or how yummy this was...chocolate, peanut butter, and vanilla ice cream coupled with peanut butter fondue on the one hand and a chocolate ganache fondue on the other. WOW!!!!

Isn't Kamilah the cutest?!

Thanks for everything, my dear dear friend! I'm going to miss you!!!

5 comments:

Meredith and Abe Fish said...

Wow that is quite a dessert. Sounds like something I could use these days. I wish we would have gotten up there to visit you and try one :) I can't believe how fast 3 years can go by. ~Meredith

KamilahNYC said...

Oh, I may or may not have shed a tear at this post! How sweet you are. Michelle I'm still in denial that you are leaving. so maybe it just won't happen...maybe

We've had some great times! Too many to count even. I will soo miss meeting in our city and re-hashing all that is going on in our lives.

NO DONATION IS EVER TOO SMALL...
xo

Leah said...

I would have to agree. I would miss that chocolatey goodness as well. And of course a great friend. Friends are amazing.

J and C Fish Family said...

I am so grateful that you have such a great friend...I hope that the bitterness of leaving can be tamed by being near family again.
I can't wait!!
-Carol

April said...

A dear friend and yummy dessert-- life is good :) Love ya!