Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Luxembourg

I really don't quite know what I think of Luxembourg. When we left Leuven, I was excited to see it. I think I pictured a really ritzy, glamourous place. I must say that the bus ride there was pretty amazing. We were going into the mountains and the countryside was breathtaking. Lots of trees. Anyone who knows me, knows I love trees and green places. A bit strange considering that I grew up in a more arid climate...but I digress. Anyway, I really thought at that moment that I wanted to be European. (More on that in another blog.)

When we got to the city/country, I wasn't sure I was so excited about it anymore. First of all, our hotel wasn't the type of place I expected in Luxembourg. In fact, I was a bit skeeved out by it. Now I've stayed in some nasty hostels in my day, as my dear friends Kate and Amy can attest to. But it goes with the territory. You expect hostels not to be five star luxury suites. And I realize I am on a student's budget. Still, I also wasn't expecting the Bates Motel. The rooms were eerie and bleak and creepy. A strange old man walked into two of my friends' room. No joke. Just walked right in. I was very uncomfortable there. Anyway, the city itself has some pretty sites, but there really isn't a lot to see. We did go to the ECJ (the EU's court). But my final verdict is...skip Luxembourg. Paris is much more glamourous and you can spend a week there and still have things to see.

One thing I did love about the city? The park. There is a valley/gorge in the center of town. This is a view of one set of stairs. It's actually quite expansive. I went running here one morning. It was beautiful.

So this picture is for Niki, Monica, Josh and everyone else who wants to see pictures of me. I'm heading into the park with a some of the other students. I'll have more from other locals in future posts. I'm trying to remember to get people to snap a few of me from time to time. 

Another view of the park.

This is a view from above the gorge, from one side to the other.

A building in the main square of the city.

6 comments:

J and C Fish Family said...

Isn't that famous castle in Luxembourg? You know the one that looks like it is out of a fairy tale? You went to some stupid court room and not to a castle, what is up with that. It's like your a lawyer, or a law student or something like that.

J and C Fish Family said...

Yay for pictures of you!!! I am proud of you for remembering to have someone snap some pics. I am excited to see you in August. Make sure that you bring more photos of your adventures.

J and C Fish Family said...

the first one is me josh, the second one is carol, sorry.

Troy-Laura said...

I know what you mean about the trees and the green. Maybe we like the green so much because we didn't see enough as children. I love your pictures and hope you are having a great time.

Leah said...

What?
You don't know everything? What the heck? :)
Love the pics. You are workin it in the first picture.
Are you going to come to Texas for Thanksgiving again? Ya ya? :)

DAP said...

So I need to know why I was not invited on this little jaunt to Ireland?!? (Okay, maybe it's some special lawyerly thing---sheeesh.) Anyway, I'm JEALOUS! You look fabulous and the pics are amazing. I'm so happy for you, girlfriend. I want to go there. Let's buy the abbey ourselves and then let all our friends come visit whenever they want. It's the least we could do.