Wednesday, June 25, 2008

I Love the United States

There are many things I don't know. I know that is shocking to several of you; however, this is something I felt like I should have been aware of. Patton's grave site is not at Arlington, something I think I just took for granted. He's a war hero, after all, and I thought we buried all of our war heros there. Well, at least the big wigs, anyway. In any case, my assumption was mistaken. He's buried in the Luxembourg American Cemetery and Memorial. There you have it.

I realize my review of Luxembourg was not raving. However, I am really glad I got to see this. I'm not homesick, really. But when I walked through the cemetery, I got choked up. I thought of all the Americans buried there, who never got to go home to their families. I thought about the reason they were there, and the cause they fought for. These Americans were far from home, from family, from friends, when they sacrificed their lives. It made me proud of my country. So even if I do love Europe (it is a beautiful place, after all), I'm still very grateful that I was born in the States, and I wouldn't want to have been born in any other place. I love my country! 

Patton's grave...

Me standing in front of some of the many many headstones...

Some roses...

More headstones...



5 comments:

J and C Fish Family said...

I knew you were a patriot at heart, even if you do sympathize with those stinkin ungrateful frenchies. I am glad you are having such a great time, and that we are not getting disowned, although Carol was wondering whether or not you would disown the whole family or just Carol and I or just Carol. And thanks for trusting your camera to someone long enough to have a portrait snapped. It reminds me of a conversation we had when we were in Scotland, or maybe it was Whales, about camera's, portraits, and landscapes. Do you remember?

The Scott and Camille Neilson Family said...

Hey. It sounds like you are having quite the adventures. You'd better not be serious about becoming a permanent resident of Europe, then I would really never see you. Thanks for the decorating advice. You need to come home and help me though :)

Meredith and Abe Fish said...

I love the pictures

Alison said...

Oh my little Michelle, I'm so jealous of your travels. Keep the pictures coming!

Amanda said...

Agreed. I love Europe, and now England has a special place in my heart, but there's no place like home. That is, the good old U.S. of A. We are a very blessed nation, and I'm feel honored to be a citizen.