Monday, June 9, 2008

Heidelberg...

I want to preface this entry with a little disclaimer. First, so no one thinks I want to become an expat, I love the U.S.  It's home for me, and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else in the world permanently. However, if I could choose a place to spend some serious time, my new choice is Heidelberg. I know, I know. Many of you have heard me talk of places such as Paris and London, but I have changed my mind. Take a look at the following pictures, and see if you don't agree that this might be one of the most beautiful places on earth.  

First, a girl's got to have a place to rest her head. And why not this lovely little cottage set on the hill, in very close proximity to the castle? 

Next, a girl has to have a nice neighborhood.

Then, when a girl needs to take a walk by the river and see some sights, look what she might find. Who out there would say no to that?

And finally, when a girl needs to know the time, she just listens for the bells, from the beautiful cathedral not far from her doorstep.
Heidelberg, Germany was my first stop before beginning my study abroad program in Leuven, Belgium (not far from Brussels). I've wanted to see Heidelberg ever since seeing pictures a student at my former high school took while he studied there. In fact, I loved the pictures so much, I purchased them (gave him a little spending money before heading off to college). I decided that I would take a few days to see the city, and it turns out that was a really good decision. I took almost 150 pictures in less than two days (couldn't help it). Every time I turned around there was another beautiful view that I had to get a shot of. What's better, the weather was beautiful. I spent an entire day walking up the river, about five or six miles one way, just because I couldn't believe how absolutely perfect it was. It was honestly like a fairy tale.  Besides that, after spending a 10 months holed up in Newark, NJ studying for law school, this did my soul some serious good. You just can't be stressed out in an environment like this. I've been to my fair share of cities throughout Europe and have loved pretty much every place I've been. But Heidelberg is my new number one.

5 comments:

KamilahNYC said...

Loving these pictures! More, more! Glad to know you made it safely, my friend!

J and C Fish Family said...

I am incredibly jealous. It is so beautiful. I am glad to hear you are not only safe but enjoying everything so much.

J and C Fish Family said...

Oh and what about the boys, I would like to lay my head down in that neighborhood for a month or two.

Amber said...

Wow! Those pictures are amazingly beautiful. I'm so glad you're having fun. And SO SO jealous.

Brian & Veronica said...

No kidding. These are gorgeous pictures and what an experience it must be for you. Words just can't say how you really feel. Hopefully we'll get to experience Germany someday as ex-pats. Brian really wants to work there for a few years--we'll see what we can do about that in the very near future! :) Enjoy your summer studying there! Love ya, V