Monday, January 19, 2009

HELP...

okay, so i made it a goal to go sugar free for a month. i've been wanting to do this for a while, and thought i better get to it. i started on monday, january 12th. at first, i was amazed at how i wasn't having any cravings for sugar at all. i could even look at sugary snacks without having any desire to dive in and take a bite. so i thought, hey, this is a piece of cake...no pun intended. and when i say i'm off of sugar, i mean i'm reading all labels. if sugar is in the first five ingredients, i won't eat it. i won't touch anything with any high fructose corn syrup at all. of course, i am eating fruits.

so then last night rolled around; i was really really wanting a cookie or some cake. i figured it would go away and did my best to ignore the need. but the cravings aren't going anywhere, at least not so far. it is now monday night, and i've been successfully avoiding the sugar for about twenty-four hours. but i want it. help! what do i do to kick the craving? i haven't purchased any sugary items, so all i have in the house are semi-sweet chocolate chips and some left over weight watchers ice cream bars. neither will do the trick and aren't the least bit tempting. but i'm worried about what i might do tomorrow while at school. or tomorrow night...like make cookies because i'm weak and i need it! any ideas?

9 comments:

Amber said...

Hmmm?? I can't help ya there. I'm off soda for my new years resolution and I've been VERY surprised at how much I've wanted some already. And I wasn't even that big of a soda drinker. I think it's because I "can't" have it now. Makes me want it more. Good luck. I really don't have any good advice. I'm sorry. Just sharing in the sympathy.

Meredith and Abe Fish said...

Good for you for giving it a try! Find a sugar free sweet treat that sounds good and use that as your crutch, maybe some sugar free pudding or something. It will take some time but the cravings will go down. Good luck. ~Meredith

Jeron and Heidi said...

Michelle, smoothies have helped me a ton. When I have a craving I will fresh squeeze an orange, put in a little milk, strawberries, and a banana, add a little flax seed if desired, and some plain or vanilla yogurt. However check your yogurt - plain is a better way to go. I like to add some ice too. Blend away, and drink until your hearts content. Hope it helps. Good luck!!

Zeb said...

No help here. I'm sitting in class with a pile of candy wrappers piled next to my computer. I will say that when I've lessened my sugar intake in the past I did have treats once a week. When you get to the weekend and binge on all the sweets it makes you sick. Then the next weekend you'll remember how crappy it was and you'll eat far less. Eventually you can get it down pretty low. The trick is to stick to the weekend format. Good luck!

J and C Fish Family said...

Sorry, can't help, I don't function very well without sugar. I usually get headaches, and can't focus. I ought to slow down but ought and will are to very different things. Maybe Carol can help she has been off of sugar for 2 months. Good luck.
-Josh

J and C Fish Family said...

I think that I can help you out...although you might not like what I have to say. If I were you, I would throw away the few things you have that do have sugar. Don't go buy anything when you are hungry. When you get a craving for something sweet, drink water. Drink until you are full if you have to. And I would stay away from anything with even artificial sweeteners. Because you'll end up going way overboard with it. I'll be honest, the first week or so can be hell, but after that the addiction isn't so strong. Cause truth be told, sugar is so addictive. Good luck with it hon. Call me if you need help or have questions. I know it's hard, but hang in there. you can do it!!

Jamie said...

You are no longer alone in your suffering... check out our friends blog!

Bernadette said...

Listen to your body.. if you get all the nutrients you need from the whole foods you eat, then there is no need for sugar (evil white stuff!) And I wouldn't put any chemical filled sugar free crap in your body either! Good for you and good luck!! LOL, Bernadette

Leah said...

How is it going? Update?
Everything Carol said is great. Drink a lot of water, don't shop hungry, etc. Sometimes having a stick of gum can tide you over until the craving goes away but you obviously have to look at what is in the gum. I have done no treats except Saturday (and the week we were in Utah) for this pregnancy and I have less than 2 months left. I guess the true question is how long do you want to go? Do you not ever want to eat sugar again? I have learned that for me I can't not ever have sugar so I give myself that one day a week to eat what I want. I do know people that go months without sugar so you can do whatever you put your mind to. You really can. and it gets a lot easier the longer you last.
One thing that works well is to plan ahead. Take all you meals and snacks with you to school so you aren't making choices at school when you are hungry....