Friday, January 30, 2009

it gets easier

People have been asking about how the no sugar thing is going, so I'm posting an update. The cravings are getting less difficult or intense or whatever. It really helps that I don't have any junk food in the house. I will admit to a few substitutes, however. 

First, a preface. I know soda, in general, is not good for you. However, I've been drinking Fresca (the cherry flavor is super yummy) and diet root beer. it tastes very much like the real thing, which, I am told, is because root beer is made with spices. I'm aware that there are drawbacks to both choices. However, I also think that total deprivation would send me over the edge. And quite frankly, no one can convince me that diet soda is just as bad as Coke. So please refrain from telling me that there are detriments to drinking it. I'm aware.

Another choice, I'm eating yogurt...the sugar free kind. I realize sugar substitutes are not great. However, yogurt has many many benefits, and it helps satisfy the cravings. Last, today I bought organic Odwalla and Kashi bars. They contain sugar, however, the sources are all organic. And the sugar count is pretty low, around 15 grams or less. I feel like it is a bit of a stretch, but I actually think they might be better choices than the yogurt and soda, especially the soda, because they are made from whole grains, contain flaxseed, etc. 

I set the goal to go sugar free for a month. I've been doing it for almost three weeks. I do see a difference in my energy level. I'm not as tired. It's funny. Last semester I was off of coke when school started. Then slowly, as things got more stressful, I told myself I needed it. And now I see that the coke craving was triggered by stress. But, while it might have been a momentary pick-me-up, I crashed. It was just making the cycle worse because an hour or so after drinking it, I felt worse. Not that that is news to anyone. I knew that's the way it worked. But I kept responding to the stress signal. So no more coke. Ever. Period. 

But the rest of the sugar food group isn't on the outs forever. I haven't decided what I will do when the month is up. I suppose it depends upon how I feel then. I will probably reintroduce it slowly. Maybe once a week or once every other week. For now, I'm just focusing on the first goal.

By the way, thanks for all the tips. I'm trying them. I bought ingredients to make a yogurt and fruit shake. I even bought plain yogurt to do it, so thanks for the tip, Heidi! I drink a lot of water. I never go to the grocery store hungry. I feel like all of the tips helped!  

3 comments:

Leah said...

Way to go, Michelle!!! That rocks. You are almost there!

Zeb and I did shakes at night when we wanted to sit down and eat treats. It helped a ton. We did frozen fruit, yogurt, a little orange concentrate (which probably has sugar) and cottage cheese. Now I am totally against adding weird things to your shakes/food so I guess that may be a tell that it is actually good. I have the WORST gag reflexes EVER. Anyway, this shake is filling with lots of protein and we LOVED it. If you want the real recipe you can always email me.

It sounds like you have a great system and I think your substitutes are great. When I tried taking high fructose corn syrup out of my diet (in the first 5 ingredients) I drew the line at yogurt. That was one thing I still wanted. I think it is best to be reasonable and logical about our goals because if we aren't they are harder to stick with for an extended period of time.

Love you. Keep up the good work. I'm glad you have more energy!!!

Leah said...

Wow that was long. Sorry for the novel! ;)

Brian & Veronica said...

o.k., try this. It's A-mazing! This is what I have everyday to ward off icecream fits or whatever sweet I'm craving. Frozen bananas, a handful of almonds, icecubes, a little water to get it to blend, cocoa and mint extract. A little honey if it's too bitter from the mint. yummy. Tastes JUST like soft-serve mint chocolate icecream. It's really amazing. My kids love it! Try it with just frozen strawberries, almonds, ice, water and honey or 100% maple syrup. MMMMM. Best strawberry "icecream" i've EVER had. I do have a vitamix though, and have to use my tamper. So if you have a regular blender and decide to make these, just shove it down with a spoon while blender is off, start again, stop to shove down, etc. If you try it, tell me what you think! :)