Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Friendship

I had a very sad experience this week. On Tuesday, Dawn called me to say her husband, Jon, was in the hospital having surgery once again. My dearest, sweetest friend was married only three and a half months ago. Tuesday night, after several hours of complicated surgery, Jon passed away.  

As I slowly headed up to the hospital in Salt Lake, through a very treacherous snow storm, I thought of how grateful I am for my friends and my family. Susan was with me, and I was grateful that I didn't have to face the storm by myself and that she was willing to go out in the weather with me. When we arrived, I was grateful Dawn's family and friends were there, or arrived shortly after. I was grateful Dawn got to meet Jonathan and that they were sealed in the temple. I was grateful to know that her sister would be there early the next morning. I was grateful because all of our friends called and wanted to help. I was grateful because their neighbors cleared driveways, brought food, called, sent flowers and offered support and condolences. Mostly I was grateful I wasn't back in New Jersey. I am so grateful I could be there when she needed me most.

My heart is broken for her. I've cried with friends and family. I've sat at her feet and allowed them to sit in my lap as she rested for a moment in the hospital. Today Jamie, Amber and I gathered around her and looked at pictures from her wedding and remembered. I will never forget driving her home and leaving her at her house late Tuesday night. As we drove away, Susan said that that image would be burned in our minds forever. I agree. It will. I love you Dawn. I've always believed that we were destined to be friends. Time and time again, that is reconfirmed to me. And while I have to leave tomorrow, I want you to know you are first and foremost in my thoughts and that you will continue to be. And to the rest of my friends and family, I love you so much.  

9 comments:

Amber said...

Oh that's SO sad. Is this your friend Dawn "Andrus"? I can't even believe it. I'm so sorry for her.

Jeron and Heidi said...

Michelle, your post was very heartfelt. I am so touched that you and Susan were there for her. You have been such a good friend and support to Dawn. I am sure she feels your deep and understanding love. Dawn we love you!!

The Scott and Camille Neilson Family said...

That was a beautiful post. We are all so blessed to have each other! Love you, Camille

April said...

Oh Michelle, Your thoughts just melted my heart. Thanks for sharing that... Our hearts and prayers are with you, Dawn.

play ball said...

Michelle,

You are a good friend. It was nice seeing you in Utah for awhile. Good luck with your studies!! Friends are have always been an important part of my life and am greatful for all of you.

Leah said...

That was a sweet post. I am so sorry for Dawn and her loss. Zeb and I both agreed that while it's sad she was so newly married, how wonderful they were sealed in the temple and will be together again. I don't know how else to get through something like this.
Good friends are what everyone needs. And the fact that you happened to be in Utah was a blessing for you and Dawn.
Know that I am thinking of you...and Dawn.
Love you.

seesuerun said...

I can't tell you how grateful I am for your pure inspiration that night in braving the storm. I knew we would be ok. I just cry to think about your determination to get there and give her support. Thanks for helping me to be a part of that experience.

Amanda said...

Oh Michelle, I am so sorry! It broke my heart reading what you wrote. Dawn will be in my prayers.

Brian & Veronica said...

Oh Michelle. Is this Dawn Andrus? Like Amber asked? I'm so sad for her. I can't even imagine what my life would be like without my husband and I'm so sorry for her that she lost her husband. I wish I could take away her pain. I wish he didn't have to die. It makes me so sad when people lose the people they love most. I know, they're sealed eternally, but it's still painful. . . Poor dawn, I hope she's o.k. I'll pray for her. v