Monday, July 7, 2008

Kylemore Abbey and Connemara

This was another great day trip. A group of us went out to Kylemore Abbey and Connemara. Connemara is a really gorgeous area, with lots of lakes, rivers, mountains, and forests. It's famous for its ponies...I'm not sure why. It was incredible.

Kylemore Abbey is a Benedictine monastery and home to a girls' boarding school. (I wish I had gone there! No offense to SFHS, but really, talk about a cool experience.) However, this wasn't always the case. Originally, the castle was owned by Mitchell Henry, a wealthy politician from England, who had it built for his wife. I know, I know, who builds a castle for his wife? And where can I find a guy like that? On top of building her a castle, he also had a small cathedral built near the home, along with a lavish garden. However, after her death, he rarely spent time there. During WWI, the abbey was founded when Benedictine nuns fled Belgium. The castle had since passed from Henry's possession and the nuns were able to purchase it for a steal. (I can't remember all of the details of that part of the story...sorry!)

Krystal and me in the garden.

Me across the lake from the abbey/castle.

A lovely little waterfall near the cathedral.

A river that runs through the gardens.

The Cathedral.
Another picture from the gardens.

This is a fairy tree. The legend goes that if you make a wish under the tree, your wish will come true. So here I am, making my wish.

Part of our little group, Morgan, CJ, Krystal, me and Kevin, in Connemara. 

Me in Connemara.

A stream in Connemarra.

Me near a lake.

5 comments:

J and C Fish Family said...

what did you wish for? You don't have to tell if you think that it wont come true!! If you happen to find a guy that builds you a castle, I hope that he builds it big enough for your favorite sister-in-law too!

Michelle said...

no telling! but i bet you can guess...and of course my castle will be big enough for you and your kids. just think, i can't just say the girls anymore!!! how exciting....

The Scott and Camille Neilson Family said...

It's so pretty and green and you look gorgeous! When are you coming to Utah? Hurry.

Leah said...

The castle and cathedral are beautiful. Looks like you are getting a lot of pretty scenery in. And I take offense to the comment about SFHS. It was a pristine school with brilliant teachers, giving me a truly diverse education. ;)
Love you

Zeb said...

All right, we all know that you're a big shot, but SFHS is your roots girl! GO DONS!